925 Sterling silver
925 STERLING SILVER
Silver is shiny, bright and casts that signature metallic glint we all know and love. It’s timeless and trendy, and universally used in jewelry making. It’s a tensile metal combining both beauty and durability. Designers—and buyers—can’t get enough of silver.
On BORCH & CO. genuine sterling silver jewellery, you can find the hallmark 925 or some variation of the word sterling stamped in a discreet place like the back of a charm or inside a band.
Pure water by itself doesn't damage sterling silver, but most of the water exposed to in our daily lives is not purified. Chemicals and contaminants in the water can result in tarnished and dull-looking silver, so it's best to know what's what when it comes to water.
- Shower. It's not a great idea to shower with your jewelry on, but once in a while isn't going to do any lasting damage. Just make sure to dry it after.
- Swimming Pool. Take your silver off. Chlorine is a pretty harsh chemical, so if you accidentally forget to remove your silver jewelry before hopping in, make sure to rinse and clean it afterward.
- Hot Tub. Same idea as the swimming pool, but there's even more chlorine in the hot tub and the heat can accelerate the chemical reaction.
- Hot Springs. The sulfur in natural hot springs will wreak havoc on your silver. Unless you're going for that "dark oxidized" look, avoid at all costs.
- Bonus Tip: Chemicals in lotions and perfumes can also cause your jewelry to tarnish. Apply them first, let them dry, and then put your jewelry on. This alone can make a HUGE difference in your silver's luster.
It is optimal to remove jewelry during the following times:
- Household chores, such as dishes, laundry, and when using cleaning supplies
- When exercising, at the gym, or playing contact sports
- When showering or bathing
- Swimming, hot tubs, or saunas
- Very hot places (such as when lying out at the beach or pool)
- When getting ready (i.e: putting on lotion, makeup, hair products)
- Preparing, cooking, or eating foods that contain sulfur (this includes eggs and mayonnaise).
- Outside chores or tasks, such as gardening